Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Toby or not Toby?


That is the question.

It was only when writing the title, (punning at its worst) that I understood the answer.

Sunday morning, just as I was drifting into wakefulness I caught the tail end of a somewhat random dream.


I was aware that I was talking to a woman although I was unable to see her, primarily because I was cuddling and petting a fairly large dog. As I drew back and looked at the dog objectively I told her quite adamantly, "this is not Toby," and went on to explain why. "This is an English Beagle...the American Beagle is different, its shorter in the leg, somewhat stockier, less rangy...ahh...heres Toby now," I said as he trotted into view, "you see?"





Now Toby was a member of my family, no other pet has held such rank. His portrait still hangs in the dinning room, where he can watch us eat. He always did love his food, though I don't ever recall him sitting quite so still.
Everyone has a story about Toby from the grotesque to the ridiculous, he was famous you see and to some extent still is but the Tales of Toby, will have to wait for now.



I knew the dream was important, it screamed at me all day...


First my brother regaled us with how in Cyprus they had been adopted by a Beagle, they had photographs to prove it..."That's not Toby!" I shouted inside. Then when I turned on the TV later (something that is not habitual for me) there it was again, advertising something, though I don't recall what..."That's not Toby either."


I didn't get it, what was the message that I just couldn't hear? I journeyed on dogs and their Elders, the Wolfs...nothing...
Finally I decided to write it up, hoping something I missed would come to light. My mind began to play on words, Toby or not Toby, that is the question, I chuckled to myself - so what's the damn answer - Rah!!! Sheer frustration hit.



Last night I was granted a Soul retrieval and now I understand.



Toby was unique!

Over any other dog I would choose Toby, nothing else would be the same.



I too am unique, I'm not an imitation, I'm me.





Given the choice I choose To Be.

I choose Me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home