Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Grandad


The eighteenth anniversary of my Grandfather's passing approaches:

It is a time for remembrance.

..............................

The years have softened sorrow,
The time for tears is past.
Here is the poem I wrote for him then,
When I was just a lass.

..............................

I never really knew you,
though you were always there.
If I faltered you would catch me,
and let me know you cared.

I remember the smell of tobacco,
as it laced the air.
But life is ever fleeting,
you've gone I know not where.

Your home seems so empty,
Your presence no longer felt.
Gone but not forgotten,
not by those with whom you dealt.

We stood about the coffin,
a sob, a muffled cry.
I didn't really understand,
I never thought you'd die.

My love for you will never fade,
although you are deceased.
I'll always remember you as you were,
in the best of health, at least.

But memories grow weary,
and bitterness laid to rest.
I promised you I'd make you proud,
I swear I'll do my best.

..............................

For Grandad...

Never far from our thoughts and always in our hearts.

x x x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home